Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Next stop.....HOME!

Looks like I should be getting a few platelets in the morning, then my discharge orders, and then heading home. Very excited about being home for New Year's Eve and watching the Rose Bowl from my own couch (actually, my mom's couch). Hopefully I won't have to make any return visits to the UW, but if I do, it's really a nice place with very good staff. It's been an amazingly supportive and educational environment. They're very good at what they do. I'm not sure if you all know this, but Fred Hutch does more stem-cell transplants than anywhere else in the world. And, since the Hutch isn't a hospital, all of those are done at the UW Hospital. Great place, great people!

Well, my cells are smoking. WBCs today were 3,020 and the absolute neutrophil count (ANC) was 2,570. Yikes. I think they're kind of surprised, they just look at me an go "Wow." Hopefully that a good 'wow.' Sounds like it is, as noone has told me differently and they're sending me home. Platelets were a bit down at 12,000 so I'll probably get some in the morning. This routine may continue for the next month or so.

Eating is going well and I'm feeling pretty darn good, so except for a kind of 'middle of the day' fatigue, I'm ready to go home. I figure I don't need to be in the hospital to take a nap.

Hey, but I have one question for everyone. I am looking for a stationary exercise bike to BORROW for a month or so. I would never want to take one out from under someone, as I'd hate to think I blew a New Year's resolution. But, I have lost a lot of leg strength and muscle in the last 3 months, so I am going to try and just get my 'bike legs' moving a few times a week. If you have one in the garage, storage, or one you just aren't using, I would love to borrow it. I won't keep it long (end of Jan or early Feb) and I will arrange pick-up and delivery back to you. Just checking, as I really don't want to buy one because I don't think it's something I would use long-term. I don't want to use my bike on the trainer because it takes up too much room and really isn't that comfortable. I also looked into renting one, but I can't find any availability there. Anyway, if someone has one or knows someone who does, that would be great. Also, I don't care at all what type, just something to get my legs moving and heartrate up.

Again, thanks you ALL for your kind words, thoughts, prayers, and support. I get so many emails and I really appreciate it. Love to all and a Happy New Year! Mike

7 comments:

  1. Hey Pal...
    It was sure good to see you today...you looked like you are ready for a change of scenery...and some real fresh air.
    I bet Helen has had a few nightmares years ago...please God, once the kids move out, don't have them move back in...please...!
    But this is different, bring that boy home!
    All is good!
    Glad you liked the pictures, we will take that walk at Limerick for real one of these days.
    Good luck getting home tomorrow..love carol and liz
    ps...sorry no leads on an exercise bike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike, we have an excellent stationary bike, low mileage, was top of the line when I bought it too many years ago. It's just not my thing. It's a heavy thing, though, so it would need a couple of strong folks to get it to you (and I'm not sure it would fit in back of the Subaru--probably, but it's heavy!!). It is sitting untouched. You'd be welcome to keep it as long as you like. It's a Tunturi with a heavy flywheel. Let's figure it out!! Yay, you're almost outta there!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was so great to talk to you tonight Mike. I'm sorry we've been such losers and missed all of these updates. But we're reading them now. Before any of this, I was already amazed by your determination and tenacity. But now I'm just astounded. While the nurses and doctors are surprised by these results, somehow I'm not. But I'm thrilled for you.
    Even though I've missed your updates, I've thought about you every day. Maybe we'll get a visit in once your comfortable at home.
    Love you! -Di

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations! You've nearly made it home! Or to "Mom's home" which is always the next best thing. I hope you enjoy that Rose Bowl game (thought it would be way sweeter if the Huskies were in it - though that ship sailed long ago - or rather . . . SUNK!) There's always next year. Anyway, it will be a extra exuberant celebration in many ways for New Year's Eve, knowing that you are comfortable at home. I am so happy for you and your family! Way to graft that transplant - expertly done! Take care tomorrow and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!! See you in 2010!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Only Mike Kearny could push out 2200 neutrophils in one day. Did we really expect anything less everybody??? We knew you could do it, but yet again you are amazing. I am delighted for you and your family. I am a little jealous that the other girls got to visit you today. After you get settled at your mom's, I want to be on the walk list when it is appropriate.

    Happy New Year in the Kearny/Casteneda house!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats, Mike! Whoop whoop! You may have turned 2009 around single-handedly. I have a wind trainer I'm happy to lend, if you'd like.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Barb, I'll take you up on the bike. Sounds great. Thanks so much. I'll work out transport with you, probably with help from brother Paul and friend Steve? I'll be in touch next week. Thanks so much. And, thanks to everyone else for the bike emails. Mike

    ReplyDelete