Saturday, December 26, 2009

An update and a feel-good story too.

Hello everyone. I really hope you ALL had a wonderfully memorable Christmas and enjoyed the time you spent with family and friends. What a great time of year. I was able to decorate my windows with holiday window clings. My mom brought me a ceramic Christmas tree that lights up. It's actually one she made while she was pregnant with me. I also have one of those little Santa snow globes and some kid drawings. So, really not too bad. Also, Casey called when her and the kids went downstairs on Christmas morning, so I got to hear how excited they were. That was fun and it'll have to do for this year. I'll look forward to being behind the video camera in 2010.

Unfortunately, Casey is a bit stuffy and Owen has a little cold, so no visits from them yesterday. Had a few other visitors including my mom. But, today, my mom came by again WITH JACK. It was so nice to see him. I miss him (and Owen) so much. I'm supposed to observe a '5 foot rule' with visitors. Not gonna happen with Jack. When it was time to go I gave him a big hug, a long one. Then, I couldn't stand it and gave him another one - one for him to take home to Owen. It's ok that Casey and Owen are being so careful, I really don't want too many people here, but especially anyone who thinks they might be remotely ill or even have been exposed to someone who is sick. It just isn't worth it at this point. I'll see everyone soon enough, probably sooner if I stay healthy.

I'm feeling good. Almost no nausea, which is great. I'm on my 3rd day of slowly trying to increase food intake, and doing pretty well with that. Headache is much less and I'm up and about really anytime I want. So, all in all, going very well.

Really, it's now all about waiting. The window for when you start seeing cell growth varies for all patients. Usually you see white blood cells (the important ones at first are called Absolute Neutrophils) begin to show up between Day +10-17. Tomorrow, Sunday, will be Day +9 for me, so hopefully soon I'll see some action. Then, once WBCs are seen to be growing, they focus in on your Absolute Neutrophil Count (ANC). When this reaches 500, you can go home. That is to say that you don't have any other problems - must be eating, peeing, walking, etc, etc. Even after you leave, you will be seen in the clinc at the Seattle Cancer Care Alliance everyday for awhile and ANY fever will get you re-admited.

On another note, I wanted to mention something else. This is an instance of how you sometimes don't appreciate the importance of something until it happens to you or someone you know. What I'm referrring to are blood product donations. Yesterday and the day before I received some platelets by transfusion and today I needed two units of red blood cells. I've given blood way back, but everytime the blood-drive was at my work, it's not like I made the extra effort to go down and donate. I am absolutely not here to solicit people to run out and donate blood just because I got some today. I just wanted to bring it up in case the opportunity is ever available and convenient to you - it was definitely on my mind today. I think I'm really just wanting to thank anyone who has given blood. Thanks. Each unit of blood goes a long way. When you give blood, you are actually giving three products - Packed Red Blood Cells, Platelets, and Plasma. Each have their own specific use and save lives everyday.

Here's one last story about giving. I've really only met one other patient here. Patients are not really supposed to fraternize. It's kind of 'illegal' to stop in the hall and talk to each other. And, there's absolutely NO going into another patient's room. But, I have met a woman here in her early 50s. I'm going to keep the details to a minimum, but just throw her story your way - because it'll make you smile. Her name is Adelle, she came here for her transplant from another country. She came alone and her family will fly here when she is closer to going home. She has a disease where she needed an allogeneic stem-cell transplant (as opposed to my autologous). In other words, she will get her cells from someone else, a donor. Well, how cool is this. She matched a random donor who is 19 years old. This young kid just gave a blood sample and registered as a bone marrow donor. I wonder how good this person will feel about themselves the rest of their years on this earth knowing they possibly gave someone the ultimate gift - LIFE. I bet it'll feel pretty cool.

Ok, better go and finish the USC bowl game, go Pac-10. My plan is to keep moving, increase my food intake, try and get some sleep, and stay healthy. Then, if the cells graft and do their part, I'll be out of here in no time. By the way, thank you everyone for your kindness. Your comforting words, thoughts, emails, and EVERYTHING else are greatly appreciated!

Love to all, Mike

2 comments:

  1. It is so good to hear you are feeling a little better. It is especially good to hear you got hugs from Jack. I know you have been missing that terribly.

    When I worked at Harborview, I always appreciated the generosity of people who were diligent about giving blood. Before HIPPA the units had the name of the donor on them. We used to say, "Thank you Mr Smith for your donation." when we hung the unit. Even though you were not soliciting, I am going to make a point of donating next week.

    I keep praying for your protection and healing. Keep eating - we will know you are back in the saddle when the ice cream gets ordered!

    Love you,

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Last year I registered as a marrow donor at the request of a friend of a friend and can only hope to someday get "the call". To be needed and to be able to give are wonderful gifts. Thanks for sharing Adelle's story.

    Keep up the good attitude, it's what'll get you through. - Leslie

    ReplyDelete