Sunday, December 13, 2009

Day #2

Hello all;

Firstly (is firstly a real word?), I want to thank EVERYONE for the wonderful support via all the great communication modes of the 21st century. I've gotten phone calls, texts, emails, video phone messages, and Skype calls. I'm just waiting for the Hogwart's Owl or a homing pigeon to come through the window. I'm very appreciated for the support you all have shown, if I don't say thank you enough, just know that I smile every night as I get ready for bed and recount how lucky I am to have such caring and thoughtful family and friends.

I have found out that you just don't get much sleep around here. Vital signs are mandatory every 4 hours. Also, I have oral medications 2x/day, IV antibiotics 2x/day, IV hydration all day, and chemo 1-2 x/day. Throw in the blood draws (at 1:00 am) and the PA, ARNP, and MD visits, and it's kind of busy. I'm really not complaining here, because it's more human contact than I've had for the last month. It's more the noises and the lights that make it tough.

This morning I got my chemo pre-meds and usual morning medications. They have you on pills that are anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and anti-fungal. I will be on these three drugs for 3 months, or until my 'counts' show that my body could fight off something I get. I have two chemos going right now - Cytarabine and Ara-C (yesterday I had Carmustine and I won't get that one again). Also have the Vancomycin antibiotic going. Fun, fun, fun.

Luckily, I feel pretty good. You can "feel" that something's going on, but I am able to get up and around, eat, and watch football. I guess you can't ask for more than that. They don't wait until you have nausea or pain, they work on the assumption that 'you will' have nausea and/or pain, so they premedicate for everything and so far I'm feeling good. My two nurses have been wonderful. Seeing them work, their education knowledge, and attention to detail makes me feel very good about my own profession. I can only hope that my patients go home and recount the same feelings about the care I provided. As everyone knows, you can gain a great amount of perspective by being 'on the other side.'

Well, good luck in all your holiday preparations. Talk to you soon. MIKE

In the news: Jack Kearny had a morning indoor soccer game. His team lost 7-4. Yet, Jack played goalie in the second half and only one of the goals was scored on him. Good job Jack! Also in the news, the Seahawks are pathetic and Seattle is expecting snow sometime over the next couple of days (it'll be pretty to watch).

p.s. How cool, I have THREE 'followers' - yippeeeee.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Mike & Casey! Great blog. Thanks for the daily updates. You are all in our thoughts. Mike, hope you continue to feel as good as can be as this progresses. You are a tough and courageous man! Take care and looking forward to more posts!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mike and Casey. Firstly (..I think that is a word?? ;) ) thanks for forwarding Mike's note and the blog that you set up. I read back to the beginning. I had no idea that you guys were on this intense journey. Mike you are obviously a cutting edge strong man that has a fantastic family at your side, I'll be thinking about you throughout this experience & will read up on what is bound to be great progress. Secondly, Casey - Annika and I will be in town the 21st through the 30th. I imagine that you all are very busy and I know that the boys don't know us all that well, but if it would be helpful to have us hang with the boys for a couple of hours so you can visit with Mike or if you might have time for a coffee, etc. just let me know. Big big happy bad cell fighting hugs from freezing @$%&#! cold Minnesota!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Mike and Casey and Jack and Owen
    Great blog! It was really nice to be able to read the history and I will feel better hearing about the journey on a daily basis.

    Casey, don't hesitate to call if you need anything! We'll knock on the door sometime soon to check in.

    Mike, keep the positive spirt!! I'm sure we'll see you playing b-ball with the kids in teh backyard as soon as it's warm enough!
    Susan
    PS--I agree. Tiger Woods is a moron and Amanda Knox did not get a fair trial!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good job on the recap Mike..a blog is a tremendous idea..good for us to keep up, easy for you and Casey to do entries and then a great journal for looking back on this adventure.

    Liz and I will continue to bug you two, but if you need anything..just holler. Love you guys....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep the comments coming, I don't get to talk that often to 'outsiders,' so it's nice to read little comment...much appreciated. And, I hope I say it enough, but always know that I am very thankful for all the kind words and thoughts. Mike

    ReplyDelete