Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Admit day has now come and gone...again.

Note: if you're reading this blog then I HAVE started on the study. I HAVE been admitted to the hospital and began treatment. I am NOT going to send this URL to family and friends until this thing actually gets off the ground. I know this means that people may have a few backlogged entries to go back and read (if they wish), but at least they won't be reading them for no reason. I just don't have the stomach to send this link out and tehn have to send out an email one or two weeks later mentioning that it ain't happening.

So, anyway, I went in Mon morning (yesterday) to the SCCA. They went over everything for the admission the next day (today) at 8:30 am. You know, what to bring, what to expect, where to go, etc. Then, near the end of the appt, they did the "line check." This is just taking a peek at my central line (the IV catheter in my chest) site. Well, that's where the train stopped! It is a bit red and had a little crust on it. Here's how it goes after that - no admit tomorrow, culture done of the insertion site, I am sent down for labwork, I am taught how to do a new kind of dressing change for the time being, I am sent down to the 5th floor for an 1 1/2 hour infusion of antibiotics, then I talk with a nurse about infusing my own antibiotics twice a day starting this morning. Fun, fun, fun. Wait, wait, wait. I tell Casey, "Maybe I'm just not meant to do this study?" Of course, she's so positive and cheers me up, encourages me to hang in there, gives me a big hug, and we go on a walk (kids are at school) and get some coffee and tea. All better now - how lucky am I!

In the news: Mariners sign Chone Figgens to play 3rd base, a bargain at 'only' 36 million for 4 years. Jack Kearny is in a holiday choir concert tonight at school. And, the healthcare debate in the House and Senate goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment