Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Goals are not all they're cracked up to be.

I struggled with 2 goals today, either to get some sleep or be able to eat something. [Note: this may be my last 'goal' review, as I'm quickly understanding that I'm not in much control here] Considering I don't feel like eating ANYTHING, I thought I would try the sleep goal since I thought this one would be the most attainable. So, at about 1:30 this afternoon, I decided to try and take a nap. Instead, I stared at my digital picture frame for 2 1/2 hours - goal not realized. Although, I sure enjoyed watching all the pictures go by. I have such a great family and awesome friends so it was nice to visit with them. My digital picture frame has about 800 pictures on it, so it's pretty cool to look at visions of my past AND FUTURE. Holidays, vacations, pets, fun, laughter, friends, birthdays, my absolutely beautiful wife, and two sweet little boys that I would do anything for! So, in the end, no sleep, but I sure smiled a lot and was able to put into perspective how lucky I am.

So, that left me with the other possible goal - eat something today. By last night I realized my appetite was going down the drain. I don't really feel nauseated at all, just absolutely NOT hungry one bit. This is very strange for me, as I can't recall passing up a meal very often. Well, I'm happy to report that Goal #2 was a success. About 1/2 hour ago (5:45 pm) I ate 2 crackers, an applesauce, and a can of 7-up. Well done I said to myself, but I also told myself to take each day as it comes and put the 'goal' thing on the shelf. There'll be plenty of time for that later. So, no more 'goal' talk, I'll just check in with you all and let you know how Casey, myself and the boys are doing.

The above two paragraphs probably are giving you some insight to the fact the "I'm beginning to feel it." Headache, no appetite, some weakness, very tired (but can't sleep) and mentally realizing how long the next month is going to be. But, I have to keep looking at my digital picture frame and remind myself that it could be worse, at least I'm not throwing up and I don't have a rash. We'll see how the end of the week treats me, but it sounds like the next two days of Thymoglobulin (ATG) and then Melpholen on Thurs are going to ratchet this discomfort thing up a bit. Either Casey of I will keep you posted.

In the news: Jake Locker is back for senior season, Mariners get Cliff Lee in a trade with the Phillies, and Joe Lieberman is still a moron.

Take care everyone. Mike

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mike! I hope you are able to get a few hours of sleep tonight. Casey - it was nice visiting with you today at the lab! We love those kinds of interruptions during the work day - especially when there are no cases! And thank you, Mike, for the orange MS bracelets. We have them on! Liam has been quite taken with mine, so I took it off for him to examine and he wore it around his forearm all evening. Well, hang in there and hopefully if you are feeling up to it, we can Skype you from work tomorrow! Take care....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike, we're so glad your mom sent us this link. We've been wondering how you are doing ever since your dad told us about it. Have been watching my dear brother-in-law go through chemo these last several months (he has stage 4 stomach cancer and has suddenly taken a turn for the worse - probably just a couple months left), so we've got some idea of what you're going through and really admire your courage. You, and Casey & the boys, are in our prayers. Love, Aunt Kathy

    ReplyDelete