Thursday, December 24, 2009

How about something to talk about?

How about a different kind of post tonight, and then a day off tomorrow. After all, it's Christmas and you should enjoy the day with your friends and family. Maybe even take a nap, that's always nice on a Christmas afternoon. Enjoy that delicious meal, great conversation, and the fleeting moments we all NEED to enjoy before we go our separate ways until the next holiday or special occassion brings us all together again.

Before I started in the HALT-MS study, I got so many of the following questions that I think I have a conversation topic (maybe adults only?) for your after dinner relaxation.

Many people have said the following types of things to me:
"I can't believe you're doing that."
"Thanks for doing this for the rest of us with MS. I could never do it."
"Aren't you scared?"
"What if it doesn't work out well?"
"I would never be able to do something like what you are doing."

So, here's the question for an after dinner conversation sometime during this holiday season.

What would you be willing to do to have a 90% chance of adding many more years to your life by drastically altering the course of an illness you had?

I think we would all be "all in" for a 100% chance, but put that 10% risk in there (because, there's always a risk) and see if it changes your answer. Also, don't even think MS in the equation. Would you do it for insulin dependent diabetes? Progressive coronary artery disease? Lupus? Chronic fatigue? Debilitating migraine headaches? In addition, I think we would all agree that this question pertains to chronic and progressive types of illnesses, not imminent life-threatening conditions such as many cancers and ALS.

Have a great Christmas. I've been giving my boys a big hug in my dreams every night, but I'm looking forward to giving them a big hug in person tomorrow. Mike

2 comments:

  1. That is a good conversation topic. It reminds me of those "games" we used to play in high school... I believe there was a book that actually had such "What would you do" questions. You know, questions like, "If you were stranded on island with a family member and you both got bit by a poisonous snake, but you only had one dose of the anecdote - what would you do?" We used to go through those questions in Theology class at Holy Names. Of course, you answer them thinking, "oh that would never happen - I would never be faced with such a dilemma." Of course, the snake example was a bit outrageous, but there were other real situations in that book that one hopes to never have to contemplate and yet so many people in this world do.

    I would like to think that I would have your strength and courage, if I am to ever get struck by chronic illness, to search out some way...any way possible to try and prolong my life for my son and my family. You are doing such a great job with this. I am in awe of how you are getting through this and thankfully, the odds ARE in your favor!

    As Carol keeps saying, "Keep dancing!" You're a good dancer, Mike. Merry Christmas my friend!!!
    Erin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas, Mike! (and Casey and Jack and Owen). The block just doesn't feel the same knowing you are across town, but we are happy to know you'll be home soon. I hope all of you have/had/are having as good of a Christmas as possible given that you are feeling yucky and can't be home. We're sending you thoughts of strength and rejuvenation!
    Susan, Rod, et al

    ReplyDelete