Saturday, December 12, 2009

Admitted to the UW today

Casey and I arrived at the UW today. I should start 1st round of chemo early this afternoon. So far, just a lot of orientation, blood work, xrays, IV fluids, antibiotics, etc. Casey left to get back with kids. We're trying to keep things as normal as possible...yeah right. Got my hair cut last night. Probably funny for the kids to see. It's definitely shorter than I've ever had it - well, at least since I was born I guess. Just got done 'Skyping' the kids before Jack goes to a birthday party - what an awesome thing to have. That is really going to help.

I'll give you a little education about the transplant thing. They call your first day in the hospital, "minus 6." That is the day you start chemo. The days count down to "minus 1," until you get to day "zero." Basically, -6 to -1 are your "conditioning" (aka - chemo+). Then, day "zero," is the day you get your stem cells back. From day "zero," you start counting up from there. Day "plus 11" is approx when your bone marrow 'graft' starts coming in. This will be a good day when you can track your blood counts returning, and increasing. Optimistically, I could possibly go home on day "plus 21 to 23." That date is around Jan 10th/11th. That's it for my education for the day. I don't have much yet, but you know I will :).

In the news: Tiger Woods will take a break from golf, "indefinitely" - what a moron.

Mike

5 comments:

  1. Mike and Casey, Just want you to know that we are thinking about you and the kids constantly. Thanks for doing the blog so that we can follow your progress. Please let us know what we can do to help out. Take care, Beth and Dan

    ReplyDelete
  2. With you guys, hang tough.
    Herzog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi guys, great to hear the journey's started and learn about the great support network you've got around you. Look forward to seeing you when you come to Sea World. Lots of love and positive energy. Craig

    ReplyDelete
  4. Am now thinking of you guys constantly with the best vibes for all those future plans! I am SO glad you're doing a blog and it's cool that you can Skype the kids! I was going to call yesterday because we did sticky buns and weren't sure about our freezer space. Got yours in the freezer, will get them to Casey and she can bring you some if you're allowed (or are you one of those no-walnut guys?)--AND if she can manage to save you some! :) Casey, I can help some during vacation, we'll be in touch. Take care of all of you! Much love, barb and jim

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks guys, and gals! Craig, I think SeaWorld is #1 on the list - you know, it's umm...for the kids. So, we'll see you then. Barb, I AM allowed sticky buns, as Casey can bring me food in. I'll remind her to bring me one before the 'ol mouth soreness sets in. Mike

    ReplyDelete