Tuesday, December 29, 2009

Counts up, possible discharge, and more...

Hello everyone. Thank you so much for all the nice comments and emails about seeing some action on the increasing WBC front. It makes me feel really good that so many people are as excited as I am. Thanks!

It was kind of funny today because I slept great, woke up feeling good, found out my ANC today was 640, and ate a good breakfast. I got going on my morning routine and the 'transition nurse' came in and mentioned that they are talking about me possibly going home "tomorrow or the next day." I thought, huh, yikes, cool...I guess. She mentioned that I have been the "model patient" and "things have gone so well," so getting me home should be possible in the next couple of days. I truly AM excited to go home, so since I have been hearing how well I've been doing for a few days now, I kind of knew that I would not be here until January as I was told earlier.

Later in the day I got visits by the discharge pharmacist and the attending physician. Both say they have written discharge orders and will evaluate things in the morning (I guess meaning if my ANC stays above 500 and I'm eating) my status. So, that got me talking to the transition nurse later in the day, again, on what types of restrictions I will have, and for how long. I thought this might be of interest to everyone because I think it underscores, at least it did for me, how this is truly a year-long battle. They weren't lying when they told me that my recovery will take a full year, no matter how good you feel. The recovery they're talking about all pertains to my immune system and minimizing my chance of getting virus' and bugs. Sharing this info with everyone will also let people know that it's not that I don't like you when I don't shake your hand or am unable to come to a gathering celebrating your birthday.

Facts:
-During the first month home, 50% of hospital re-admissions are due to foodborne illness'.
-And, just under 1/2 of all discharged patients need to be re-admitted at some point to address an infection or evaluate a fever, dehydration, or other concerns.

Things I CANNOT do for 12 months:
-No building construction or home improvement projects - fungal spores (aspergillus)
-Can't sleep with cat on bed or change litter box (toxoplasmosis) - petting, cuddling is ok, but must wash hands after contact, especially if licked
-No cleaning fish tank
-No contact with reptiles, rodents, or birds
-No going to zoos - no, I'm not kidding you
-No gardening, mowing lawn, or raking leaves (tons of bacteria)
-No sitting directly on grass or dirt - again, no I'm not kidding, I need to bring a blanket to sit on
-I can have house plants, but I can't touch them, yet NO fresh cut flowers
-No working in healthcare

Things I CANNOT do for 6 months:
-No swimming or hot tubs
-No public aquariums
-No hunting
-No horesback riding
-No animal trophy mounts in the house

Weird to have all this stuff above that I can't do, but I AM ALLOWED to have close contact, intimacy, cuddling, and kissing with immediate family members - as long as they are not actively sick, so I got that going for me...which is nice. I will really look forward to snuggling up with the boys at night before bed.

Oh, also, all members in a household need to shower daily. We'll be the cleanest family on the block.

Anyway, just thought it would be interesting to see what the year is like for someone post-transplant. Although this sounds kind of crazy, there is a ton I can do. I'll be with my family. Be able to play at the park, work-out, and wrestle with kids. Get to smaller gatherings the first 6 months and enjoy BBQs all summer. By mid Feb, I'll become a certified house-husband. I'm actually looking forward to helping with the cooking, cleaning, getting the kids to school, etc. I'm excited to go to movies with Casey and enjoy the popcorn - they'll just have to be matinees, or a movie noone else wants to go to.

It's all about patience. One year for hopefully many more healthy years, not a bad trade if you ask me. Mike

6 comments:

  1. Yahoo! For the most part, anyway! No animal trophy mounts in the house? I've been meaning to talk to you guys about that one!! Will look forward to hearing about the official discharge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! That is just the coolest news, Mike! So glad you are doing this well. And by the way, good use of the Caddy Shack quote! I'd say you do have a lot going for you, even considering all the "DON'Ts". Despite all the restrictions, I am sure it will feel like paradise compared to these last couple weeks. Just to be around your family again . . . I can't imagine how excited you must be. Well, here's to hoping your ANC stays above 500 and that you eat like a champ....hope the next post has your discharge time in it and the rest of your posts are from the comfort of home (or your mom's home)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - no hunting - I know you will be so disappointed. And I know Casey will miss that deer hanging in the garage this year....

    I'm with Erin - I want to know the discharge time :)

    This is such great news. I am so happy for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, it is true, what I've always suspected for lo, these many years: Mike is superman. I don't know how I've known it, but somehow the way he cleans the house in a single bound, fights crime - I don't know, it is just now all piecing together. I agree with the above posts, there are some things we are really going to have a problem with:
    -Not having plants in the house... it is really great that Mike's wife, though fabulous in many areas, is a complete failure at plants. Any live plant in the house will certainly die, should I be responsible for it. I sense doom for the christmas cactus that I am sure Mike remembers to water.
    -Okay, these two really are going to be a stretch - No hunting OR horseback riding! Karen is right; how will I ever accept Mike as a true man if I don't get that Bambi head this year? And horseback riding? Oh dear, Mike, what will Blackjack say?
    -Finally, this one is sure to be a big problem, "No animal trophy mounts in the house." For those of you who know us, you know we'll have to do lots of redecorating prior to Mike's return to our home. I wonder how much those things go for on ebay?

    So thankful for you, pumpkin!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mike and Casey...I have shed many a tear when reading your posts...tears of heartache and tears of admiration, but right now they are tears of just pure joy. You two are simply awesome !
    As we talked about on Mon. I was going to see if you were up my coming by tomorrow, but
    YOU MIGHT NOT BE THERE ! YAHOOOOOOOOOOO.
    I'll call in the morning and see.
    When we were down at the cabin in Limerick I took YOU on a walk around the golf course with me (and McKenna..our dog). It was a very frosty morning and I took pictures as if we were walking and talking,pointing out this and that...part of the lake was frozen, so made for some cool pics...I made you a CD so you could take the walk too. But I much prefer the idea of you going home and taking your own walks.
    Love you guys soooo much...carol (for some reason, a milkshake sounds really good right now!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am full of joyful noises, Mike! Good for you! And thank God for that daily shower! Bette

    ReplyDelete