Friday, December 11, 2009

Admitting tomorrow (Sat 12/12) to UW

I have spent the week on IV antibiotics at home with daily dressing changes to my IV catheter site in the chest area. It looks good, or so they tell me. So...I had a 'clinic' appt this morning and have been cleared for take off. I will be admitting to the UW hospital, floor 8NE at 8:00 am tomorrow (this is Fri, so that means Sat). I would like to say there is some excitement, but I think it is just more of a relief to be done with the waiting and wondering. Let the adventure begin. Sounds like the first 4-5 days are ok, but then it can all get pretty uncomfortable for people. We'll just have to see. Sounds like the bad drug is coming on day 5 and 6. This is a medication called ATG (Thymoglobulin). It is the final kick in the butt for my bone marrow. It follows the chemo and basically wipes out any T-cells (the bad guys in MS, a type of white blood cell) that are hanging on for dear life. These few days I should expect a really bad case of the flu (so I've been told) with fevers, joint pain, fatigue, nausea and a case of increased blood pressure just for good measure.

Casey is going to help with posting things too and also following up with any questions or comments. So, when you write something, please say hi to her also as, depending on how I feel, she may be writing a lot of the posts.

So, as Tom Petty said, "The wa-ai-ting is the hardest part." Now that it's over with it's time to get going. First thing is a haircut tonight. Not sure if Bronson or Casey are going to cut off the hair, but either way it'll be fun for the kids. I haven't had a haircut in over 3 months, so they're going to have some fun.

Talk to you all soon. Love to everyone and thanks for your support of myself, but more importantly, my awesome wife and kids. Any to the 'guys,' sorry to be missing the get together on Wed. Have a beer for me and I'll see you at the next one. :) Mike

In the news: Mike gets 'go' for beginning his stem-cell transplant.

No comments:

Post a Comment